Re: [Linphone-users] address@hidden

From: John White
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] address@hidden
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 23:49:02 -0700

Genghis Khan wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 15:22:12 -0700
John White <address@hidden> wrote:

This worked well....Linphone now opens from the GUI. Must admit I
had to give up on MenuLibre as it apparently requires slackware 14.
Vector is working on that now.

Please ignore my proposal concerning to MenuLibre as it is merely a
Desktop Launcher editor and does not support editing of Desktop
Launchers of Link Types, as it seems, nor it support editing of
reordering menu categories.

As to the slow loading, that problem is solved (I took all the
"friends" out of linphonerc. However, I now have to copy and paste
contact info (phone numbers), so that's a bummer. I am looking at
faster ways to do this.

Did you try to execute (double click) the Desktop Launcher I attached?
Yes, it worked fine far as I know. I can now launch linphone from Applications>VoIP.
Would you like to use your system menu to manage your contacts?
I think so. I have saved the old Friends list from linphonerc to a text file. I open that file, search for the name, copy the phone number, paste it into linphone and then dial the number. Most anything would be better than this.
Which Desktop Environment are you using?
xfce4

As to the problem with "enable self view" I can't tell if that is
fixed or not (I doubt it) as I no longer have any video codecs in
preferences. They are apparently in linphonerc, but don't show in
the gui window. I probably don't know how to pass VIDEO=yes to the
build script. Here is what I do:

# ./linphone.SlackBuild VIDEO=yes

I then use installpkg to install the SBO file. Linphone runs when I
do this but does the Video Input Device is greyed out and no video
codecs show in Preferences.

You have already done more than enough. Still, any thoughts you have
about any of this, are most appreciated.

Genghis Khan wrote:
I suggest to import most of your contacts that are not being used
often into an external contact management program that would
display contacts in click-able hyperlinks and then use the
solution I have proposed.
I think this a good idea and will try to find such a program.

Please let me know when you do. I tried to use the address book of
Claws Mail and I have failed to make a click-able sip: URI.

In the meantime I think I have a very strange solution which you
might like.

Using the Start Menu Application launcher (of freeDesktop.org).
More information athttp://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu

Add a category called VoIP and then extract the attached desktop
file to ~/.local/share/applications/

This is the content of the attached file:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=iptel Early Music
GenericName=Test Music VoIP Bot
Comment=Call to iptel Early Music
Type=Link
URL=sip:address@hidden
Icon=sip-bookmark
Categories=VoIP;

You might want to do some of the above actions using MenuLibre.
http://www.smdavis.us/projects/menulibre
https://launchpad.net/menulibre