[Linphone-users] Low sampling frequency

From: gegetel
Subject: [Linphone-users] Low sampling frequency
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 11:12:19 +0200

Hello,

When, for some reason, I don't activate pulseaudio an use only ALSA, and have a call with any PSTN subscriber, the person I am speaking to notes every each about 5 to 8 seconds, short holes in my speech. This phenomenon is the same no matters which Linphone's version is in use (3.5.2, 3.6.0 or 3.6.1) and which of my two soundcards ("ALSA: NVidia CK804" or "ALSA: Ensoniq AudioPCI" or "ALSA: default device").

I did numerous outgoing and incoming streams captures with Wireshark and the result is every time the same: while incoming data is sampled at 8000 Hz, outgoing one is invariably sampled at 7969 or 7968 Hz. (Don't know if this make sense but everybody notices the relative error is near from 1/256.)

These results are the same on several computers and several linux distributions (Mageia 2, Mageia 3, Debian Jessie, Fedora 18, Archlinux) but not on computers which have only one souncard and Mageia 2.

Perhaps somebody knows some setting I could put in the sound section of my .linphonerc and/or in my .asoundrc file to improve this Linphone's behaviour ? Such a possibility is mentioned here: https://www.linphone.org/eng/documentation/dev/tuning-linphone.html with "alsadev=" setting but I need some help... TIA for your advices and suggestions.