[Linphone-users] pixelated decoded video on Ubuntu 13.04

From: Daniel Noguchi
Subject: [Linphone-users] pixelated decoded video on Ubuntu 13.04
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 02:04:24 -0300

Hello all,

I'm trying to use linphone on Ubuntu 13.04, but I am experiencing some video
issues.

First I've tried to use the linphone package for this distribution, but the
camera didn't work. On other applications (like 'cheese' for instance) the
video stream was fine, but when using linphone all I got was a black screen.

Then, I've tried to use the package from the linphone PPA (from
https://launchpad.net/~linphone/+archive/release). This seems to fix the video,
but when calling another linphone user (on a ubuntu 12.10 machine), the decoded
video stream appeared pixelated or lacking quality. I am using the H263-1998
codec.

When using linphone on Ubuntu 12.04 machines the quality using the same codec was very good.

I've tried compiling linphone versions 3.5.0, 3.5.2, 3.6.0 and 3.6.1.
3.5.x versions had the camera issue (black screen)
3.6.x worked alright, _but_ when making a call the decoded (received) video was
pixelated.

I've tried other codecs (H263 only, x-snow, MP4V-ES) but they either did't work
(showed no video) or presented a pixelated image.

Does anybody have any idea on why is this happening? On the other machine
(Ubuntu 12.04 or ubuntu 12.10), the decoded image looks fine.

If anybody has any idea or could point me to the right direction I'd be much
appreciated!

Here are some more information about my setup:

uname -a
Linux ubuntu 3.8.0-19-generic #29-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 17 18:16:28 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Ubuntu dist: 13.04
--
Daniel Noguchi