[Linphone-users] Optimal video codec between linux and mac OS

From: Hans Georg Schaathun
Subject: [Linphone-users] Optimal video codec between linux and mac OS
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 10:28:52 +0000

I am struggling to find a decent codec configuration for linphone.
Does anyone have any advice on what to choose and possible sources
of errors?

Testing is between two boxen
  mac OS running Linphone 3.6.1
  linux running Linphone compiled from the git head as of 2 December
           last year
Both boxen connected to the same switch, so the network should not
be a cause of concern.

The codecs I have available are VP8, MP4V-ES, H263-1998,
H263, theora, and x-snow.  Theora makes the linux client crash
(core dumped, but I have not read the dump :-).  Only H263
gives an acceptable view on both boxen.  The remaining ones give
a bad picture displaying on the mac.

Even H263 does not give a very good picture on the mac.  In particular
it is very unsharp at the start and takes long to reach acceptability.
Even then, it seems inferior to the display on the linux box.

Any experience to share?  What should one expect to get working?
Are there other configuration options or typical problems which
I should be aware of?

I am aware that mpeg4 and H264 can be compiled in, but I don't
really feel up to the task of compiling on the mac.  Yet.
I suppose there isn't a quick way to make it work on the mac.

Thanks a lot in advance,
--
:-- Hans Georg