[Linphone-users] Excessive "keep alive" messages

From: Robert Dyck
Subject: [Linphone-users] Excessive "keep alive" messages
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 15:14:11 -0700

Do we really need "keep alive" messages every 10 seconds to every UA that has
ever been called or from which we have had an incoming call. I know they are
harmless except that they drain the battery on mobile devices. This even
happens after IP - IP calls on the LAN. The KA's continue even after a UA goes
offline which then results in ICMP messages from the node.

Although I am behind a NAT I configure Linphone as if I had a direct connection
to the internet. Let's face it. Almost all service providers are quite adept
at discovering your NAT and generating KA's or scheduling fairly frequent
registrations.

Am I missing something? Is the described behaviour justified?

Rob