[Linphone-users] STUN service handling in Linphone

From: Florian Hähnel
Subject: [Linphone-users] STUN service handling in Linphone
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 14:46:18 +0100

Hi,

I’m using Linphone on iOS and a Fritzbox 7390 as my SIP provider (I use my
iPhone as external SIP client).

I had the problem that in certain network environments (3G, double NAT) I was
able to pick up an incoming call but I couldn’t hear anything.

Now I tested another SIP client on the iPhone, Zoiper:
Here I found an option in the network settings to select whether the STUN
server should do only signaling or also transporting the media (they call the
option “rport” in the NAT settings). When switching to “signaling” I have the
same problem as with Linphone. But when “signaling & media” is activated, I
have no problems any more.

On my Mac I use the app “Telephone”, but has no options for the NAT settings at
all (besides entering an address for the STUN server). There I had never
problems from the beginning on.

My questions:
- how is the STUN server option in Linphone implemented?
- Is it possible for the future to have similar options in the network settings
to let the STUN server do the media handling?

I would be more than happy to use Linphone in the future because Zoiper is
draining my battery way too much!

Best regards,
FLorian