Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone Web plugin for Firefox is built for specif

From: J G Miller
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone Web plugin for Firefox is built for specific shared library version libpolarssl.so.0
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 02:27:04 +0200

At 08:44h, on Monday, June 01, 2015,
in message <address@hidden>,
on the subject of "Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone Web plugin for Firefox is
built for specific shared library version libpolarssl.so.0",
Joseph Jameson wrote -

 >         thanks for sticking with me.

          " And miles to go before I sleep ..."
          -- Robert Frost

          ;+)

 > and so  ever decreasing circles till you know what.

With numerous "computer" problems it often turns out the solution is quite
simple,
but the process of finding out what is actually going wrong is the tricky part.

 > so this arvo I will install it

Not come across that term before, but I guessed it meant après-midi / middag /
mittag etc

 > The next thing is a guide on how actually use it, will I get an icon in
 > the Firefox Toolbar

No icon there.  What you should do is add the Linphone Web page to your
bookmarks.
You could have a toolbar bookmark entry if you want an icon-like button
interface though
for ease of access.

If you wanted to, you could, depending on your window manager / desktop, create
a desktop
icon or menu entry to open up a firefox instance with the URL for the Linphone
web page.

 > does the other person need to register or have a Linphone account

Well yes of course they do, and they also need to be signed in to the site or
running a
linphone instance (that is, running the linphone executable) for you to be able
to chat
with them or call them using the Linphone Web interface.

Incidentally -- just to avoind confusing -- registration at that web page and
having a
Linphone SIP account are equivalent / effectively the same thing.

The purpose of the Web interface is to replace running an instance of linphone
yourself
because this may not always be possible eg on a PC which you do not have
administrative
rights eg at a friend or relative or Internet cafe or on the job etc.

 > What are your thoughts on installing libpolarssl0 from the repos?

Well I have it installed anyways because it is requirement for the dev package
(header
files) which are needed to build linphone from source.

So if you install it on its own and then run deborphan it will show as an
orphan package
so if you have an automagic cleaning routine such as dpkg --purge `deborphan`
it will
get removed unless you make it a keeper in /var/lib/deborphan or install some
other
package which actually needs it.

 > and have Linphone dropped the ball and given up on it.

I doubt that very much because the web interface is platform neutral and it is a
very simple and practical solution for where the linphone executable cannot be
installed.

The developers are very busy people so this being the icing on the cake will
have a lower
priority to fixing that the primary platform which has probably now become
android because
there are more android devices than anything else.

--

    "Lift up your hand, To an Illawarra land, Of Dapto, Port Kembula and thee."