Re: [Linphone-users] problems using 3.6.1 in debian stretch

From: Liviu Andronic
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] problems using 3.6.1 in debian stretch
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 10:38:42 +0100

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 1:00 PM, MJ Ray <address@hidden> wrote:
> Liviu Andronic wrote:
>> One of the Ubuntu PPA maintainers tried recently to update Linphone in
>> the Debian repos, but gave up at one point. I forget why, but I
>> suspect the process is too convoluted when you're not already an
>> insider.
>
> That is unlikely to be the reason because there are not insiders in the
> debian project.  The project works in the open.

Yes and no. The project is open. But then there are users who already
have publishing rights and often have limited bandwidth (time,
interest, etc.), i.e. the insiders. And then there are users,
outsiders, who would like to contribute but can't get either the
attention of people with commit rights, or the required rights
themselves. The Debian (and Ubuntu) lists are littered with
contributed packages that simply rot away because there is no one with
the interest or time to review the contributions and incorporate them.

In my experience the Debian/Ubuntu process for outside contributions
is all too often cumbersome beyond normal patience, which is why for
Ubuntu I've simply resigned myself to maintaining PPAs for packages of
interest instead of attempting to get the contributions upstream.
While I understand the reticence and the interest in keeping small the
circle of people with commit rights (stability, security, competence,
proper review, etc.), the process is what it is.

Cheers,
Liviu