Re: [Linphone-users] Announce linphone-desktop 3.10 new release

From: Bret Busby
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Announce linphone-desktop 3.10 new release
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 21:56:18 +0800 (AWST)

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 04:34:29
From: Matej Kovacic <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

Hi,

  * already compiled http://www.linphone.org/downloads-for-desktop.html

Just a couple of suggestions:

- I believe it would be useful to add info about Ubuntu's PPA. Also, it
is important to mention that "sudo apt-get install linphone" installs
very old version (as far as I remember 3.6) of Linphone.

Hello from Western Australia.

I am using UbuntuMATE 16.04.

On the web page at
http://www.linphone.org/downloads-for-desktop.html
is

"
Distros packages for Debian & Ubuntu

Linphone is included in Debian and Ubuntu GNU/Linux distributions: you can then install it in a few seconds using your favourite package manager or in a console using

sudo apt-get install linphone

See linphone page on debian and ubuntu websites:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/sound/linphone
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/linphone
"

The link for the Ubuntu version, leads to
http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/linphone

which has

"
Package: linphone (3.6.1-2.5)
"

which is also the version shown in the Ubuntu Software Center package manager.

I have successfully used Skype on Linux, but have yet to be able to get either Ekiga or Linphone working on Linux.

Having the latest version of the application, available for the Ubuntu Linux operating system (and, thence, the Ubuntu derivatives), would be useful, to try to get it working.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."