Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone in embedded Linux (SDK?)

From: J G Miller
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone in embedded Linux (SDK?)
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 00:21:27 +0100

At 15:05h, on Tuesday, November 29, 2016,
in message <address@hidden>,
on the subject of "[Linphone-users] Linphone in embedded Linux (SDK?)",
Dave Danenberg observed -

 > I downloaded the code and tried to build it on Linux, but there was no
 > makefile.

Except for very simple application programs or significantly old software (pre
2000
or so) one should not expect a makefile nor use it.

First there were makefiles, then imakefiles (introduced I think mainly for
X11R6 dependencies
on different systems).

Then they put together the GNU automake tools, in which one first runs the
configure script
to create the makefile and prior to that does sanity checks to look if the
system
has the appropriate needed header files and libraries and also allows
customization
of features (eg --enable-ldap or --disable-some-feature).  But if the configure
script
does not exist, then one usually has to do an autoreconf -fiv to start from
scratch.

Linphone was using the automake method but has switched to CMAKE for which the
general recipe is

        mkdir build
        cd build
        cmake path_to_top_level_of_unpacked_archive_containing_cmakelists.txt

This then creates the makefile to do the making.

But as the Linphone README.desktop.md file clearly explains for LINPHONE
DESKTOP (GTK2),
the Linphone developers have done all the hard work and prepared a python script
to invoke the appropriate CMAKE construction of Makefiles

QUOTE

        BUILDING ON LINUX AND MAC OS X

        $ ./prepare.py desktop
        $ make -C WORK/desktop/cmake

UNQUOTE

Take note that before trying to build linphone you do need to have installed all
the appropriate header (development package) files and libraries as well as
linphone's
own libraries, which last time I did it (not had opportunity for many months)
to get
all features were in "required" order

         mbedtls
         openh264
         srtp

         ilbc
         bzrtp
         ortp

         bctoolbox

         mediastreamer

         bcg729

         belle-sip

         msamr
         msilbc
         msopenh264
         mssilk
         msx264

and then linphone.

When unpacking each archive (or git clone of source code) it is necessary to
check which build method is used in order to proceed.