[Linphone-users] Compiling linphone-desktop from git may overwrite libra

From: Robert Dyck
Subject: [Linphone-users] Compiling linphone-desktop from git may overwrite libraries
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 15:49:44 -0700

The link to the git version of linphone-desktop should come with a warning
that compilation could result in some existing libraries being overwritten.
Cloning the git pulls in all the dependencies for a linphone desktop. When
compiling there is no check for dependencies that already exist.

In my case, libxml2 got downgraded. Email stopped working. Worst of all the
package manager also stopped working and I could not use it to reinstall
libraries that were no longer compatible with my system. Fortunately libxml2
was installed in the wrong directory ( /lib rather than /lib64 ). Only the
libxml2.so.2 link had been removed from /lib64 and the actual binary was still
intact. I may discover more problems but for the moment , all is well. It made
for a tense moment however.