Re: [Linphone-users] Multi registration problem

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Multi registration problem
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 17:35:29 -0400

Phil Dream <address@hidden> writes:

> I use Linphone with an Ippi.com VOIP line on my Android mobile
> phone. Ippi allow me to use only 3 connections simultaneously.
>
> When for example I leave home, I quit Wifi connection for a 4G
> connection and reverse when I get back. Each time this create a new
> connection to Ippi servers and the old ones are not killed so after 3
> changes it is impossible for me to register. I have to enter my Ippi
> account and manually kill old registrations.

As I understand it, when Android switches from wifi to cellular, there
is no warning and intent sent to apps to be able to cleanly close the
connection.  So I don't see how linphone could close the old connection.

I have the impression sip has a keepalive, so I would expect the old
registration to go away within some small number of minutes.

At least some protocols (unrelated to sip) have a notion of a persistent
identifier so that when there is a new connection from the device on a
new address the old connection can be torn own on the other side.   For
example xmpp tends to do this with the resource.

To me the big question is why the old connections aren't timing out,
which is not about linphone.

The only thing that could be about linphone is if SIP really has a
notion of persistent identifier to let the other end close the old
connection and for some reason isn't using it.