Re: [Linphone-users] Kernel Panic on macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) when Linp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Kernel Panic on macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) when Linphone (4.1.1) is launched
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 20:33:34 -0400

> I don't agree. If a software behaves very badly or doing bad things with
> kernel mode drivers, it can still kernel panic.
> Imagine writing to the memory space the kernel "owns".  That could cause
> kernel corruption, and thus a kernel panic.

Yes, kernel-mode drivers can be at fault, but AFAIK Linphone doesn't
include any kernel-mode driver.

An important goal of the kernel is to try and provide safety checks such
that one application can't mess up another, including the fact that one
application shouldn't be able to bring down the whole machine (since that
would mess up the other applications).

        Stefan