Re: [Linphone-users] Why Android (Oreo) phones, are actually less reliab

From: Juha Heinanen
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Why Android (Oreo) phones, are actually less reliable with TCP vs. UDP
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2019 15:30:28 +0200

Brian J. Murrell writes:

> Is your phone pingable after it goes to sleep (screen off and then wait
> a few minutes) with baresip's foreground process running?

I'm not sure what you mean "pingable", but it responds to SIP OPTIONS
request when the screen is off as well as when the activity has been
killed.

> How about if you stop baresip's foreground process and do the same ping
> experiment.  Does it still respond?

If foreground process is not running, baresip does not respond to any
SIP request.  But as I mentioned, based on my experience with Android
7-9 devices, foreground process stays alive until phone goes to power
saving mode.

> What version is your Android?

Android devices with versions 7-9.

> If your phone, natively -- or perhaps it's baresip that is doing it --
> keeps the network stack (wifi) running while it's sleeping, then yes,
> TCP will still work reliably.
>
> But I think shutting down wifi when going to sleep is part of Android's
> newer battery savings strategies.  Maybe it's new in Oreo.

Mostly I have been using mobile data in my tests, but last night I had
an Android 7 device on and both wifi and baresip were still alive in the
morning.

> But if it's keeping wifi running when your phone would normally want to
> disable it (except for port 5228 for FCM) then your battery is not
> going to last as long.  How is your battery life without baresip
> compared to with it?

Sure, if wifi is on, battery does not last as long as if wifi is off.  I
just started baresip over wifi on an Android 7 device tha has 80% of
battery left,  I'll check after a few hours how much of the juice is
gone.

> What percentage of battery is your phone reporting baresip using?

Depends on what else the phone is doing.  If nothing else, then perhaps
15 % of so.  I can check tomorrow morning after I have charged the
battery fully.

> I disagree.  Linphone is not controlling whether the phone disables
> wifi when it sleeps, and it shouldn't.  Linphone should cooperate with
> the O/S it's running on, not try to circumvent it.

None of the three phones that I have has turned off wifi automatically
when baresip service has been running.

> Waking the phone's wifi up with a push, as a trade-off for battery
> battery life is exactly what should be happening, IMHO.  At least
> that's what I want.

As long as you cannot run your own push notification server, you can say
goodbye to privacy and security.  I'll rather keep my phone charged.

> I just want all of this FUD about UDP to stop.  It's unnecessary and I
> believe for probably all but a small number of situations (never say
> never) untrue.

I cannot use UDP, because I need TLS for security.  One thing that I
have noticed with UDP in Android is that when network connection is lost
to my phone, my SIP proxy still thinks that the SIP UA is alive until
its registration expires.  With TCP or TLS, SIP proxy learns it
immediately.

-- Juha