Re: [Linphone-users] Why Android (Oreo) phones, are actually less reliab

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Why Android (Oreo) phones, are actually less reliable with TCP vs. UDP
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2019 11:10:31 -0400

Juha Heinanen <address@hidden> writes:

> Brian J. Murrell writes:
>
>> If some device on the path tells your sip proxy (i.e. through an ICMP
>> message) that the network has been lost, then yes it will know.  But
>> it's not actually normal or desirable for devices to return ICMP
>> messages for what should be a temporary outage.  It should rely on
>> TCP's reliability to allow TCP sessions to resume once the outage has
>> been restored.
>
> When baresip then later receives isConnectedOrConnecting action, it
> re-registers its accounts.

The point I've been trying to make is that an "outage" of 10 minutes
because the phone is doing power save is not really an outage, and loss
recovery mechanisms are not designed to deal with this.  It is an
intentional loss of connectivity, and it's reasonable to treat it as
such in the overall system design.