Re: [Linphone-users] Why Android (Oreo) phones, are actually less reliab

From: Brian J. Murrell
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Why Android (Oreo) phones, are actually less reliable with TCP vs. UDP
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2019 14:53:50 -0400

On Sat, 2019-03-30 at 13:15 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> It's different in that it has known characteristics and a system
> design
> can take those into account.

Sure, but we aren't there yet.

> I suspect if SIP/UDP had retransmission rules adjusted to be "TCP
> friendly" in terms of congestion avoidance, it wouldn't work as well
> for
> you.

You are probably right about that.

> In situations with congestion avoidance, local greedy behavior
> almost always wins, even if everyone doing that leads to collapse.

True.

> I think there's something bad going on in terms of packet loss and
> perhaps otherwise in your case.

I'm not sure it's "bad".  It's expected packet loss, but only at the
phone where the phone simply isn't awake to response.  No different
than the computer that you just turn-off without shutting down.  Or
maybe the better analogy is suspend, only to resume later.  That's all
expected packet loss.

Cheers,
b.