Re: [Linphone-users] Why Android (Oreo) phones, are actually less reliab

From: Martin Glaser
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Why Android (Oreo) phones, are actually less reliable with TCP vs. UDP
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2019 09:27:55 +0200

with iOS the situation is really different: Since a few years Apple does not allow any
apps to stay connected while not active and while the device is in standby. There is an
option "Background App Refresh" but that does not help for a real-time
communication application like SIP.

So even in a 1-supplier-solution like a FritzBox and the FritzFon app where the
app connects within the home network to the FritzBox (no NAT) the device will
not ring when the device is in standby for a few minutes.

Here Linphone's push feature is superb. It let's the phone ring reliably. But
one has to use Linphone's VoIP server, otherwise the push can not be used.

I am using that now for around 1 year and it works great. I have in parallel to
my iPhone an Asterisk server listening for calls on the Linphone VoIP server
that provides an answering machine and that takes the call after 20 seconds. I
recognize no delays that the ringing on the device would be too slow.

So I like Linphone's push feature!

Best Regards

 Martin Glaser