Re: [Linphone-users] [Linphone-developers] serverless voip call

From: Stuart D. Gathman
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] [Linphone-developers] serverless voip call
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 14:10:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 May 2019, Tom Hartnett wrote:

1) We put the prefix "sip:user@:" in front of the IP address (e.g.
sip:address@hidden). It seems to help Linphone know this isn't a phone
number but a URI.

On laptop linphone, at least, the 'user' must be actual OS username of the user running linphone/ekiga. Otherwise, the call is ignored.
The username should certainly be included in the "phone number" you
distribute in the form of a SIP url.  If linphone can be configured
to ignore the username, and you wish to hide your username, then you
should still publish the SIP URI with a fixed prefix of your choice.

2) We've published a free "reduced feature set" version of Linphone for iOS
and Android that might help you (assuming you don't need video). It's
designed specifically to call without registration. If you simply key in an
IP address it will complete the URI for you before making the call. It also
keeps its own phone book, aside from the phone's main contact list. Search
for "fieldtap" on the app stores.

Sounds cool, I'll have to try it.  On tiny screen devices with no
keyboard, keying in a full IPv6 could be painful.  The ability to
publish and scan QR codes for the sip uri could make this more pleasant.

I've noticed that more "Contact" applications are including "SIP URI" as
a standard field.  This is a good sign for finally moving past the 100
year old POTS network.  (Although it will be interesting to see which
network best survives the inevitable solar EMP, or worse, nuclear EMP
from a crazy enemy.)

3) It's entirely possible that if the receive side is registered, invites
from destinations other than the registrar may be rejected.

Good tip.

--
              Stuart D. Gathman <address@hidden>