Re: [Linphone-users] realtime text in linphone client?

From: Stuart D. Gathman
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] realtime text in linphone client?
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 11:18:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019, Benoit Chesneau wrote:

The Linphone GUI sends text messages in "real time" using SIP.  RFC 4103
seems to be about carrying text in RTP packets.  What is the advantage
of doing that when you already have a SIP connection?

well it can be used in emergency services by deaf or hard of hearing
people. Also in noisy place over voice. I see that the linphone sdk
allows it, so i as wondering it it could also exist in the app so it
can converse with others.

Well yes, I use linphone to text with others (no audio) all the time.
My question was, why would one use text over RTP vs text over SIP?

Maybe I should run wireshark and see if the linphone text feature
actually sends over RTP ...

--
              Stuart D. Gathman <address@hidden>