Re: [Linphone-users] hardware with secure key for linphone

From: David Kuehling
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] hardware with secure key for linphone
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 18:32:26 +0200

> I was looking into getting a hardware SIP phone today, but couldn't
> find any alternatives which tell me that key is not potentially
> compromised with a back door somehow.

> Putting linphone on an Android kind of suffers the same fate, with
> google ultimately controlling the bottom layer.

> So I'd like to ask: Are there any certified (open) hardware solutions
> to put linphone on, where I can have a greater guarantee that key
> integrity is kept and no (deliberate by design) backdoors are
> implemented?

Not a direct answer to your question, but still:

If the hardware phone is located in a network you control, you could
force it to communicate outwards via a trusted (open source) SIP media
server and otherwise firewall it off and/or put it onto a VLAN etc. so
that it has no way to leak any information to the world outside your
network.  In theory any audio/video would then be (re-)encrypted on your
SIP server (e.g. asterisk/pjsip with direct_media disabled) so that's
the only place that you need to trust with that solution.

David