[Linphone-users] - Linphone for music lessons

Subject: [Linphone-users] - Linphone for music lessons
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 23:28:22 +0100

Hello,

I'm new to Linphone and would like to use it for music lessons, where audio quality is very important.

So, I would like to know how best to configure it for music.

1) Is it possible to deactivate all audio codecs, in order to transmit the original sound (similar to Zoom which offers this option)?

2) If I use the audio codecs, in order to have the highest quality must I use OPUS with bitrate of 128 Kbs? And is it possibile to disable all the other codecs (speex, PCMU, PCMA, G729 which are enabled by default)?

3) Is it possible to make a test call to hear a short record of the audio quality?

I have a very good Internet connection (optic fiber FTTH, 100 Mbps in upload und 700/900 Mbps in dowlonad) and use Linphone under Linux 64-bit (Debian Buster).

I also write a wish, it would be nice if in one of the next releases of Linphone it will be possible to manage also a reverb filter and an equalizer, the world of music lessons is constantly growing up and these possibilities would make Linphone the perfect software. There are some open source audio filter available, may be could they be integrated into Linphone?

For example, I play the viola, and with all the string instruments (violin, viola, cello) the best results are usually obtained with a special microphone to be installed near the bridge (where are the strings), however the sound captured in that position requires a (small) reverb effect and the elimination of unwanted noise.

Thank you very much for your advices and sorry for my bad English.

Best regards,

Stephanie