Re: [Linphone-users] Are Linphone chat communications encrypted?

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Are Linphone chat communications encrypted?
Date: Wed, 05 May 2021 14:21:28 -0400

Sylvain Berfini <sylvain.berfini@belledonne-communications.com> writes:

> Actually for the chat it's not ZRTP that is being used (as it indeed
> would require a call to send data in a RTP stream, which we do but
> only for real time text).
>
> We have developped an IM E2E encryption module named LIME (Linphone
> Instant Messaging Encryption) but which is related to ZRTP:
> https://www.linphone.org/technical-corner/lime

Thanks.  That was not at all clear from the seurity page.

It strikes me as suboptimal that there is a linphone-special protocol
rather than implementing OMEMO which seems to be the most widely used
chat encryption protocol.   It seems that LIME and OMEMO were both
implementations of the Signal protocol, and the current status is
unfortnately a fork.   Clearly it is desirable to have interoperatility
across SIP clients.

(I have never been clear on the public key server part.  Perhaps I
haven't gotten to the point of causing an upload; I would hope that no
uploads happen without explanation/consent.  THis is a minor point.)