Re: [Linphone-users] Is it possible to change recordings location?

From: Jaroslaw Rafa
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Is it possible to change recordings location?
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 12:33:30 +0200

Dnia  7.05.2021 o godz. 10:50:01 ael via Linphone-users pisze:
> > I just installed Linphone on Ubuntu 20.04. The main feature that I need is
>   --[snip]--
> > The version of Linphone that I have installed is the current one from Ubuntu
> > "universe" repository: 3.12.0-3.1
>
> I think that you will be informed that that version is very old. The
> debian repositries have linphone-desktop at version 4.2.5-3 at least,
> so you should be able to upgrade to that. But I am not very familiar
> with Ubuntu.

Well, Ubuntu 21.04 has currently version 4.2.5-3 in it's repository, but
Ubuntu 20.04 still has 3.12.0-3.1. And I want to stick with 20.04 because
it's a LTS (Long Term Support) release, which means it's supported for 5
years, while 21.04 is a standard release with only 1,5 year of support. I
use only LTS releases because 1,5 year of support means for me that shortly
after you get used to the system, have customized it to your needs and
started to feel comfortably in the environment the support is over (and so
there are no more updates) and you have to upgrade to a new release. So with
standard releases I would have to continuously upgrade, configure, resolve
issues, again upgrade, configure, resolve issues etc. which leaves little
time to do any actual productive work on the system :).

As linphone-desktop package is dependent on 17 other packages (at least
that's the number of packages that were automatically installed as
dependencies when I installed the program), of which 15 are various
libraries, I guess it isn't easy to upgrade without risking messing up my
system. Is there any PPA which contains backports of current Linphone
version to older, still supported Ubuntu releases?

I have found only this PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~linphone/+archive/ubuntu/release/ but it contains
builds only for old, already unsupported Ubuntu releases - the highest
available is 16.04, with Linphone version 3.9.1.
--
Regards,
   Jaroslaw Rafa