Re: [Linphone-users] Is it possible to change recordings location?

From: Gabby
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Is it possible to change recordings location?
Date: Sun, 09 May 2021 03:46:10 -0600

> I'm thinking mostly about GNOME desktop, because many things change with

> each release. Also, some applications disappear from repos, and I have to

> install packages from previous releases, or find some alternatives, which

> usually requires some tweaking...

Like you, Jaroslaw Rafa, I want to do things with my computer and not make my life about configuring it, so I have been happily using KDE desktop on openSUSE distribution since 2003.

Maybe KDE desktop would be more suitable for your needs.  With only one exception in KDE history, changes in the desktop were incremental, and desktop configuration files were automatically converted by the desktop system.

Since 2003, there have been only 3 instances where there were significant user-facing changes in the desktop.  In 2003, we had KDE 3.1.  Then there was a major and quite inconvenient change to KDE Plasma 4 in 2008.  Then there was a evolutionary change to KDE Plasma 5 in 2014, and we have been on KDE Plasma 5 ever since.  With each small change from 2008 through today, desktop configuration files were automatically converted for users by the desktop system.

Maybe openSUSE Leap distribution would be more suitable for your needs.  Starting with openSUSE Leap 15.3, which will be released on June 2nd, 2021, openSUSE will be based on SUSE Linux Enterprise (SLE).  SLE will be supported until July 31st, 2028.  In my experience, applications are carried in repositiories across versions.  In rare instances when an application becomes unavailable in a release version, it can usually be found and installed from the Software portalWikipedia describes openSUSE Leap as "Leap is a classic stable distribution approach, one release each year and in between security and bugfixes. This makes Leap very attractive as server operating system, but as well for Desktops since it requires little maintenance effort. Online release upgrades are mostly so unspectacular and trouble-free that the community already proposed, the next release should be called 'boring'."

If you want to use KDE and openSUSE isn't for you, there are multiple options.  For example, you could install KDE on Ubuntu, or switch to Kubuntu, the official KDE variant of Ububtu.

I am using:

Desktop Linphone v4.1.1-lp152.6.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2 for x86_64 (Linux) installed via binary RPM

KDE Plasma v5.18.6

KDE Frameworks v5.71.0

Qt v5.12.7