[Linphone-users] spurious authentication failure dialog

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: [Linphone-users] spurious authentication failure dialog
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2021 07:50:13 -0400

I am using linphone 4.2.5 on macOS, which is current on the download
page.  It basically works ok.

My accounts configuration is:

On startup, I get an authentication failure dialog showing:

  Unable to authenticate.  Please verify your password.

  Identity: @
  Realm:
  User ID (options):
  Password:

and cancel/login.   The last three fields really are empty in the
dialog.

After clicking cancel, I see a green dot and click it and see three
accounts

  sip:user[IPV6_addr]
  sip:user1@sip-provider.example.com
  sip:user2@asterisk.example.org

switching among active, the first one shows a red triangle, and the
other two are green.

In the accounts dialog, there are the two I configured, and there is
"default account" which has display name and user name, and then
  "Display Name" <sip:username@[2001:a:b:c:1:2:3:4]:5060>
where that v6 addr is a current v6 address of the machine.

So it looks like there is a bug where linphone has a sip identity for
use locally (which is ok) but (speculating) that it somehow expects to
be able to do a login on the that account, and perhaps the method
invocation to do the login returns some sort of "that doesn't make
sense" code, resulting in the spurious error dialog and a red triangle.

I'd say that for a p2p sip identity, it should just show as green
becuase there is no server to register with.

Other than having to click cancel, this is not a big deal.

I don't see how to tell linphone to disable/delete the local account.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Is this a known bug?
  (I see only 2 open issues, which makes me wonder if I am looking in
  the right place:
  https://gitlab.linphone.org/BC/public/linphone-desktop/-/issues
  )

Thanks,