Re: [Linphone-users] [Linphone-developers] Announce: Linphone Desktop 4.

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] [Linphone-developers] Announce: Linphone Desktop 4.3 spotted
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 10:31:34 -0400

Julien Wadel <julien.wadel@belledonne-communications.com> writes:

> Secure rooms are explained there :
> https://www.linphone.org/secure-communications
> This is about end-to-end encryption for chat that wasn't available on
> Desktops.

(I realize you are the messenger here.)

That really does not explain.  It's just marketing bullets that make
claims without any substantiation.  Because I understand the larger
context pretty well, I'm guesing this is somehow using the signal
protocol or similar.

What's missing is:

  Is this about the within-SIP messaging protocol?

  What is the protocol for chat encryption?   Where is the protocol
  spec?   What kind of public review has it had?

  Are there any other clients that implement this protocol?  If not, is
  this described as a BC proprietary thing, or is there a claim that it
  is open but that there just aren't other implementations yet?

  Is it really the case that the flexisip server, as open source, fully
  supports this, so that the secure chat can be obtained in a fully open
  source way?

  Does the encryption setup protocol federate?  If two people set up
  flexisip, and chat with each other, do they still get e2e-encrypted
  chat?

  Is this something that one can enable and disable, or does it result
  in one's client communicating with BC servers?

about audio/video encryption:

  I get it that this is referring to ZRTP.  But it doesn't say that, and
  it doesn't explain that this should be able to interoperate with other
  ZRTP implementations.

It certainly looks like BC has done something useful here.   it's just
that with marketing text and no actual details, it's not possible to
understand what is actually being done.

Greg