Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone does not ring anymore reliably

From: ael
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone does not ring anymore reliably
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 10:55:59 +0100

On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 02:40:40PM +0100, ael via Linphone-users wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 02:16:50PM +0200, Martin Glaser wrote:
> >
> > Does 4.5.0 have a bug that prevents the reliable ringing? Are there known
> > problems with Apple's Notification system?
>
> I too have had troubles with incoming calls not ringing. But with a
> quite different environment (linux desktop) and version
> Desktop  - Qt5.15.2
> Core 4.4.21
>
> Using the sipgate registrar.

An update: the problem seems to be more serious than I had previously
realised. I had arranged for a bank to call me back while using linphone
to talk to them. When the call had finished, I was watching linphone
awaiting the incoming call. Nothing. Linphone was displaying the sipgate
presence
throughout.

When the bank contacted me on my mobile , they said that thay had tried
the linphone number 5 times, and in all cases the call switched to
voicemail. So it would seem that sipgate was flagging that I was not
connected/present/online.

There was a time when I knew a fair amount about the SIP protocol, but I
have forgotten most of it. But there is a time-out for registration and
and an (optional) repeated handshake to maintain the presence IIRC.

It would seem that somehow linphone is failing to maintain that
presence/registration.

I don't have any logs to share. If I had expected the problem, I might
have enabled logging, but, of course, I was did not expect it.

I have been using sipgate without out problems for many years with
a variety of hard & soft 'phones.

This is under debian testing. I have not logged a debian bug since the
maintainer is following this thread.

ael