Re: [Linphone-users] linphone often unavailable

From: julien.fb
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] linphone often unavailable
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 11:32:41 +0100

Dear Kamen,

Supporting push notifications has become compulsory since iOS 10 and on most recent Android phones to receive incoming calls and messages when the app is not active in foreground.

To wake up a VoIP app when an incoming call or an incoming message is received, the server must send a push notification request to Apple/Google's PN server. For security reasons, Apple/Google doesn't allow everybody to send push notifications to their servers. There are private keys and certificates to protect the whole process.

We have decided not to share Linphone’s push notification ID with third party services, and this is why the stock Linphone app can only receive push notifications sent from our sip.linphone.org service.

The background mode is not a guarantee that the phone will never kill the app.

Best regards,

Julien Favre-Bulle