Re: [Linphone-users] Unable to call SIP account

From: Stuart D Gathman
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Unable to call SIP account
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 19:20:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 26 Mar 2023, Jaroslaw Rafa wrote:

Dnia 25.03.2023 o godz. 22:05:30 Stuart D Gathman pisze:
That does not work for peer to peer unless you have exactly one SIP
device behind said router and a port forward.  A small office might
install a SIP server (e.g. asterisk) - but that is a federated solution,
and not peer to peer.

I didn't mean any SIP device behind the router.
I did mean a VoIP-enabled router, which is a SIP device by itself. You don't
need any port forward then.
They are quite common.
The phones (normal, analog phones) are connected directly to the router on
RJ-11 ports.

That is not even internet, much less peer to peer.  And analog phones
need a bridge to telco to be useful.  So you are using a centralized
service in that scenario.  If you are still using telco, I can
understand why you don't agree IPv4 is obsolete.

The point of IPv6 is to connect directly to the device of your friend,
without any "service" as intermediator (other than internet routing).
The widespread dependency on centralized services that has built up
since the 90s is a bad thing.

You can use these routers with some provider's SIP server, but you can also
call them directly at their IP address. Each phone will use a different SIP
port. If you are using a SIP server, then each phone can be configured to
use different server and/or account.

Ok, that makes analog phones marginally useful if all you want to do
is make voice calls. How do you call a SIP address like sip:user@friendsdomain.net with a touch tone (or dial!)? Sounds
cumbersome.