liquidwar-user

[liquidwar-user] Some Liquid War news

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: [liquidwar-user] Some Liquid War news
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 17:18:42 +0200

Hi all,

A few words on this (very low traffic lately) mailing list.

About Liquid War 5, FYI I'm currently trying to "push forward" an
attempt to make it "Allegro 5 compatible". The purpose of this is to
enable the old codebase to make its way through time and live on
"recent" computers. Example: Allegro 4 does not build on a recent Mac so
it's not possible to produce binaries for modern systems any more. Also,
porting it to Allegro 5 would mean Android support which, in itself, is
cool. I've put quite some energy into this, if you are curious, you can
take a look on Github https://github.com/ufoot/liquidwar5/pull/2

About Liquid War 6, TBH the GNU Project is going through complicated
times, I'm committed to maintaining this for security fixes, minor
updates, but won't probably make any significant updates there. Among
the real show stoppers there are: C is really not productive enough, I
can't get the speed of development I get with other languages such as,
typically, Go.

About Liquid War 7... Wait, what, there's a *seven* ? Well, quite so.
Not happy with Liquid War 6 basis - the fact I was unable to cram
network support into it in 10+ years speaks for itself - I tried a bunch
of alternatives. One was backporting Liquid War 5, the other one was to
try-yet-another-thing. I explored a lot of options. Ranging from
switching to Unity3D https://unity.com/, writing a Go program using G3N
https://github.com/g3n/engine or even switch to Rust with Piston
https://github.com/PistonDevelopers/piston (I happen to be a seasoned Go
developer now, and Rust is my new default choice to write programs,
generally speaking). But in the end, I tried to figure out what was
*IMPORTANT* to me, and players in general. Players do not care about the
language the program is written in, and also, nowadays, they want it to
run on any platform, and more precisely, it should run on mobile,
including both Android and iOS. In that category, there's a newcomer,
which was not there by the time I started Liquid War 6, let alone Liquid
War 5, so no regret, and this newcomer is Godot https://godotengine.org
... This thing is Open Source and I've been toying around with it and
long story made short -> I was able to achieve in 5 days what took me
about 3 months with the Liquid War 6 technical stack. Been quite
impressed there. The current work is nowhere near a playable game, it's
here for now https://gitlab.com/ufoot/liquidwar7 with no binaries, no
nothing.

So there I am, hacking again, do not hold your breath, I'm making no
promises on any future release date, but just, well, it's happening,
lots of underground work, and I thought I had to drop a word about it.

Enjoy and take care,

Christian.

--
Christian Mauduit            __/\__  ___
address@hidden              \~ ~ / (`_ \   ___