listhelper-moderate

info-gnus-english post from address@hidden requires approval

From: info-gnus-english-owner
Subject: info-gnus-english post from address@hidden requires approval
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 05:40:09 -0400

following mailing list posting:

    List:    address@hidden
    From:    address@hidden
    Subject: Re: What exactly is a NOV header

At your convenience, visit:

    http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/admindb/info-gnus-english

to approve or deny the request.
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: What exactly is a NOV header Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 22:36:12 -0700 User-agent: Gnus/5.11 (Gnus v5.11) Emacs/22.1.50 (darwin)

    Madhu> The OP is satisfied with your other post.  So no point flaming this
    Madhu> thread, however

Madhu, I am _not_ flaming here. As I pointed out below, the info node references
the NOV headers, but does not define them - and hence is not what the OP is
looking for. Therefore my response to your node link.

[...]

    Madhu> What is described in the info page is not NOV but the gnus internal
    Madhu> format which is closely related.

Correct. The internal format is described here. A better info node where the
actual NOV is defined to a better extent is:

       (info "gnus(Terminology)")

which has a short description of NOV.

    Madhu> The info page stated "Internally Gnus uses a format for storing
    Madhu> article headers that corresponds to the NOV format in a mysterious
    Madhu> fashion.  One could almost suspect that the author looked at the NOV
    Madhu> specification and just shamelessly _stole_ the entire thing, and one
    Madhu> would be right."

    Madhu> And I had used the description there to grok nov databases.

    Madhu> The URL you provided in this post also just referred to the NOV
    Madhu> headers and no definition of what NOV headers are is provided.

The URLs I had provided are FAQs on NOV and contain additional cross-references
at the end which the OP can use if he/she needs additional information.

E.g., see the URL

      http://quimby.gnus.org/notes/nov-faq.txt

(provided in my second post) and grep for

          "Subject: What is the format of the NOV database?"

This goes into the NOV headers in detail. To quote the FAQ response:

,----

`----

    Madhu> "Please check before criticizing"?

I will not respond to this since carrying this further *will* lead to an
unnecessary continuation of this thread with little information value and high
S/N ratio.  However, to clarify, the intent was to respond to *what* the OP
wanted (which has been fulfilled, as evidenced by his confirmation post), than
to *criticize* your response.

--
Anupam

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: confirm f10ced933790b6860fee2d9f6de077af6e27a4d1
of the body of the reply.

--- End Message ---