listhelper-moderate

help-gplusplus post from address@hidden requires approval

From: help-gplusplus-owner
Subject: help-gplusplus post from address@hidden requires approval
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 06:48:02 -0400

following mailing list posting:

    List:    address@hidden
    From:    address@hidden
    Subject: perspiration

At your convenience, visit:

    http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/admindb/help-gplusplus

to approve or deny the request.
--- Begin Message --- Subject: perspiration Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 12:48:00 +0200 User-agent: Thunderbird 1.5.0.12 (Windows/20070509)
ERMX Continues To Expand As Stock Climbs Up 16.6%!

EntreMetrix Inc. (ERMX)
$0.21 UP 16.6%

ERMX announced further expansion with K-9 Genetics. Healthy and Premium
dog foods grossed $3.6 Billion in 2006, up from $1.9 billion in previous
years. Read up on ERMX over the holiday, we think you will see even more
fireworks on Thursday morning!

There were some cases where we found the licensee didn't exist any more;
finding out who abandoned code belongs to is another art form.

And then there's the style of userland used by developers, and that's
typically GNOME or KDE, and tools.

The GPL does require you to set aside commercial protections for your
software. And, Java is actually pretty widespread. There are things that
were much more obvious as to where they'd originated, and we were able
to look back in our legal archives at the licenses and work out whether
we had the rights.

We'll see people starting to use the BSD kernel together with KDE and a
package manager that they got from the Solaris community.

It saw its stock price go down to a tenth of its previous value, and it
saw the need to dismiss large numbers of staff.
SP: I actually think that we're in the middle of a pivot point in the
way society functions.

In the Solaris community, they've tended to use the OpenSolaris ON,
which is the OpenSolaris jargon for the kernel and network.

There were several questions we had to ask ourselves: one of them was
which license was most likely to prevent monopolisation by somebody
loving us to death. So the question has to be, well, how can you grow
when you've already got such a strong market? The festival's popular
opening event will feature "presentations from area spoken word . GM:
Presumably parallel to what you were thinking about licenses-how did you
end up with the CDDL license? It's actually a reasonably intractable
problem, because over the decades, the standard of proof has gradually
gotten stronger and stronger. What made it controversial was that it was
the Chief Operating Officer of Sun saying it. Another factor was asking
who wasn't using Java. It actually had a huge Open Source community,
developing on top of the Java platform, using open-source tools like
Spring, Hibernate, JBoss and so on.

We felt that doing that would grow the market to everyone's benefit.
Also, there were a lot of people who felt that the Mozilla approach to
licensing had been correct. Because the software industry is so closely
connected to the World Wide Web, it's been one of the first to be
impacted. The Open Source movement is busily accepting grace from IBM to
promote Linux-shall we say, not entirely in isolation from the fact that
Linux isn't Solaris.

It actually had a huge Open Source community, developing on top of the
Java platform, using open-source tools like Spring, Hibernate, JBoss and
so on. It's actually a reasonably intractable problem, because over the
decades, the standard of proof has gradually gotten stronger and
stronger. com All Rights Reserved.

Why did he change his mind? They're all using GNOME or KDE, they're all
using Sendmail, and they're all using Mozilla.
And, that's the chief value that Perl and Python and others were
bringing to the platform. Also, there were a lot of people who felt that
the Mozilla approach to licensing had been correct.
I think that the distinction people try to force between UNIX and Linux
is part of a strategy by corporations to diminish their competitors'
versions of UNIX.

GM: So what happened? We saw that license proliferation was an
increasing problem. When you look at what UNIX-like operating systems
really are, each is a set of editorial choices about which free software
userland to assemble around which kernel. Something else you have to
look out for is code that was based on disclosure of information where
the disclosure itself was under trade secret terms. There were several
questions we had to ask ourselves: one of them was which license was
most likely to prevent monopolisation by somebody loving us to death.
And, it is possible that the use of the GPL for the indigenous software
industry, for example, in Brazil, might harm the Brazilian economy. So
the question has to be, well, how can you grow when you've already got
such a strong market?

Another factor was asking who wasn't using Java.
Their hostility wasn't moderated by a recognition that Java came from
what would now be recognised as an open-source company.

And, I think it gradually became more and more obvious to people that
this community probably was no longer as vulnerable to monopolisation as
it had been. The GPL does require you to set aside commercial
protections for your software. It was actually BSD merged with System V
at one point, so there were a lot of people who felt that we should be
using BSD as a license.
SP: I think that there is a huge overlap in those worlds.

It's on five billion devices, it's on eight out of ten cell phones, and
it's used on a strong majority of enterprise application servers. So,
there was no way you could apt-get Java on Debian, for example.

So you discover that everyone in Fedora, and everyone in FreeBSD, and
everyone in OpenSolaris are all using the same stuff.

com All Rights Reserved.

Someone else might have the right to it.
SP: We're completely committed to open-sourcing every thing that we're
able to. SP: We're completely committed to open-sourcing every thing
that we're able to.

And I think it harms us all, because the real competitor out there isn't
somebody else's UNIX-like operating system, it's actually the closed
stuff.
The Open Source movement is busily accepting grace from IBM to promote
Linux-shall we say, not entirely in isolation from the fact that Linux
isn't Solaris.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: confirm c62a0ed1394bd09c5875cb2ea0fbf7b681972e43
of the body of the reply.

--- End Message ---