lmi

Re: [lmi] wx_test_expiry_dates.cpp

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] wx_test_expiry_dates.cpp
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 15:36:12 +0100

On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 14:53:55 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

http://svn.savannah.nongnu.org/viewvc/lmi/trunk/wx_test_expiry_dates.cpp?root=lmi&r1=6040&r2=6047

GC> /// Validate dates in the 'expiry' file.
GC> ///
GC> /// Write the begin and end dates to stdout, as JDN and as YYYYMMDD,
GC> /// all on a single line, e.g.:
GC> ///   begin: 2457024 2015-01-01  end: 2457055 2015-02-01
GC> /// (Those are the dates that would normally be expected for a
GC> /// distribution prepared in December 2014.)
GC> ///
GC> /// Validate dates only when the '--distribution' option is given.
GC> ///  - The begin date should be the first day of the next month.
GC> ///  - The end date should be the first day of the month after next.
GC> /// Binaries are normally distributed toward the end of a month for
GC> /// use throughout the following month. Consequently, these tests will
GC> /// pass if run when a regular distribution is prepared, but they will
GC> /// fail if rerun on the begin date--and that's exactly as desired:
GC> /// such "failure" is not an error. (Incidentally, this illuminates
GC> /// our decision to write all GUI-test output to stdout, not stderr.)
GC> ///
GC> /// (When '--distribution' is not given, we had considered writing a
GC> /// line to stdout saying that the tests had been skipped. But that is
GC> /// not necessary, because in our normal workflow we'll compare each
GC> /// '--distribution' run to a previously-saved '--distribution' run,
GC> /// and diffs will make it obvious that the tests have been skipped.)
GC> ///
GC> /// Occasionally "interim" distributions are issued, e.g., to add an
GC> /// urgently-needed feature or to fix a critical mistake. They are
GC> /// to be tested in the same way as regular distributions. All regular
GC> /// distributions resemble each other; each "interim" distribution is
GC> /// irregular in its own way, and its validation "failures" are not
GC> /// errors, but may indeed convey useful information.

 OK, this seems to have been easy -- and didn't even result in any
questions. Here is the patch which should implement the desired behaviour,
preceded by another patch adding support for "--distribution" option that
we need now.

 I've tested the new test with and without the --distribution option and it
expectedly passed without it and failed with it until I executed

        echo -n '2457024 2457055' >| ../data/expiry

command to make it pass with it too. I also didn't forget to run
"make check_concinnity" this time but, almost disappointingly, it didn't
find any problems neither.

 Please let me know if you have any questions or notice any problems with
it, TIA,
VZ