lmi

[lmi] Best way to skip distribution tests?

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: [lmi] Best way to skip distribution tests?
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 22:54:37 +0100

 After adding two checks for "--distribution" option presence today I've
realized that the way I did it is probably not the best one as just not
executing the test in this case doesn't give any hint in the test output
that the test was skipped and if somebody wanted to run the distribution
tests but forgot to specify the corresponding option, it might not be
immediately obvious that the tests hadn't run at all.

 E.g. to take the example of "default_input" test, currently running it
without the "--distribution" option produces this output:

        default_input: started
        time=0ms (for default_input)
        default_input: ok

Formally this still shows that the test hasn't been executed as it should
have output "EffectiveDate" if it had been, and perhaps this is sufficient
with your workflow as any diff would show the absence of the missing line.

 But the attached simple patch changes the output to the following:

        default_input: started
        default_input: skipped (not running distribution tests)

which is, IMHO, better, so I wonder if you wouldn't want to apply it (if
you do, please notice that it should be applied after the patch to
wx_test_config_settings.cpp to apply cleanly).

 Arguably, the best would be to not even start running the tests which are
not supposed to be run without the "--distribution" option, so that no
output appears for this test at all. This would however require more
extensive changes, so I didn't want to spend time making a patch showing
this approach without knowing if you believed that this would be worth it.

 Please let me know if you think it would be or if the attached patch or
maybe even the current version is good enough. It would be great to know
this before adding more "--distribution" checks to the other tests, but, of
course, in the worst case I can always change them later, and this will
just take slightly more time (both to make and to apply another round of
patches).

 Thanks in advance,
VZ