lmi

Re: [lmi] "Implicit int" vs. '-fms-extensions'

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] "Implicit int" vs. '-fms-extensions'
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 22:00:54 +0000

On 2019-06-17 23:18, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 22:39:19 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> GC> Anyway, commit a9bcf09ec414 turns off 'fms-extensions' for everything
> GC> except the xml and xslt libraries, and it does work with MinGW-w64 gcc-8.
> GC> I'm dissatisfied with the changes to 'install_wx*.sh' for reasons that
> GC> will be obvious. Vadim, is there a clean way to write this? We had all
> GC> 'configure' options neatly arranged in one double-quoted multiline
> GC> variable, but I couldn't figure out how to make an assignment with spaces
> GC> like:
> GC>   wx_cxx_flags='-fno-ms-extensions -fno-omit-frame-pointer
> -frounding-math'
> GC> work inside that variable.
>
>  The only way to make it work that I see is to set IFS to newline which has
> to be done using a literal newline to be portable, I think, i.e.
>
> ---------------------------------- >8 --------------------------------------
> IFS='
> '
> ---------------------------------- >8 --------------------------------------

A few years ago, Stroustrup proposed overloading whitespace in C++.
But that was intended as a joke.

IFS is the most evil language misfeature since APL established a system
variable to toggle the index origin between 1 and 0.

>  I think setting IFS would be less ugly but, to be honest, I don't feel
> very strongly about it one way or the other, and it could be argued that
> not fiddling with IFS is simpler and more clear.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. I had researched this
rather extensively online, but was reluctant to believe what I read.