lmi

Re: [lmi] Where can I find the urtext of mount data?

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Where can I find the urtext of mount data?
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 00:15:35 +0200

On Tue, 12 May 2020 21:41:19 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> I thought /proc/mounts was supposed to be the definitive repository
GC> of mount information, so does findmnt get this extra information:
GC>   [/var/cache/centos_lmi]
GC> from some more definitive source?

 I didn't know, so I decided to investigate but, for once, before diving
into findmnt sources, I had an inspiration and used a less obvious source
of information: its man page.

 And there it says, right under DESCRIPTION:

        findmnt will list all mounted filesystems or search for a
        filesystem.  The findmnt command is able to search in /etc/fstab,
        /etc/mtab or /proc/self/mountinfo.

 And, lo and behold, looking at /proc/self/mountinfo, I do indeed see that
it contains the information you're after, i.e. the original mount point for
r-bounded mounts (for all the other ones it's just "/").

 So for once I am glad to not have started by the most complicated way to
find something out and to have used the documentation instead!

VZ