lmi

Re: [lmi] PATCH: wxGrid-based census view

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] PATCH: wxGrid-based census view
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 15:13:54 +0000

On 2020-07-14 22:53, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 22:17:52 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
[...]
> GC> In practice, I'd just "merge" the whole branch and review the changes
> GC> in aggregate, using some non-web-based tool of my own choice. I'd
> GC> look at individual commits only if I couldn't understand some change.
> GC> IOW, I'd merge #143, but review the net effect of all the changes
> GC> together, in effect squashing them myself, just as though I were
> GC> examining #144.
>
>  IME this is not quite the same. No tool (that I'm aware of, anyhow) will
> show you the new code as diff with an existing one as long as the existing
> code remains too and for some parts of these changes this could be useful.

Just for the record: I still approach this the same way I did with cvs:

[simplified from 'lmi_setup_43.sh']
# Create a local mirror of the gnu.org repository:
mkdir --parents /opt/lmi/free/src
cd /opt/lmi/free/src
git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/lmi.git

Then I can merge 45 commits into /opt/lmi/src/lmi
and diff the result against /opt/lmi/free/src/lmi
(which I've updated to the merge's base commit).

To view diffs, 'meld' isn't bad. I'd like to find a text-mode alternative
that'll work on our server; so far I've tried only vim's built-in 'netrw',
and it gets the job done, but it's cumbersome, so maybe I should try one
of the other options--e.g., here:

http://vimcasts.org/blog/2013/01/oil-and-vinegar-split-windows-and-project-drawer/