lmi

Re: [lmi] Getting rid of the rest of Boost (was: Best way to integrate P

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Getting rid of the rest of Boost (was: Best way to integrate PCRE)
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 23:07:25 +0000

On 10/3/21 10:13 PM, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
>  the step for building Boost.Regex has somehow
> remained in the CI workflow file, but I've now removed it from there
> myself, so this is not a problem neither.

Okay, thanks. After your commit e44b02881f7fc7d, only one hunk of your
original PR remains in 'ci.yml':

-       if: matrix.autotools != true
+       if: matrix.mingw != true && matrix.autotools != true
        run: |
          # Somehow these files are executable and this triggers complaints
          # from check_script.sh, so avoid them by fixing permissions.
          chmod -x .git/info/exclude .git/description
-         make $coefficiency LMI_COMPILER=gcc LMI_TRIPLET=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
check_concinnity
+         make $coefficiency check_concinnity

and that's only because I forgot to apply it. But maybe it's no longer
wanted; I can't say for sure, so I'll just point that out and leave
any further 'ci.yml' change to you.

> I've also fixed the problem with
> the bad ownership of /opt/lmi/local directory, which somehow ended up being
> owned by root, breaking the MSW cross-build using the official makefiles as
> it couldn't create gcc-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu subdirectory there. To be
> honest, I didn't spend time on finding out how exactly did it happen and
> just corrected the problem in the workflow file, but this is somewhat
> surprising because /opt/lmi is owned by the non-root user when it is
> created, so I could look into this if you'd like.

It should be created in 'GNUmakefile' if it doesn't already exist
(the /local.*dir/ variables all default to /opt/lmi/local/whatever):

.PHONY: $(build_dir)
$(build_dir): $(gpl_files)
        +@[ -d $@                 ] || $(MKDIR) --parents $@
        +@[ -d $(localbindir)     ] || $(MKDIR) --parents $(localbindir)
        +@[ -d $(locallibdir)     ] || $(MKDIR) --parents $(locallibdir)
        +@[ -d $(localincludedir) ] || $(MKDIR) --parents $(localincludedir)

After rebuilding everything, I have:

  /opt/lmi/src/lmi[0]$ls -ld /opt/lmi/local
  drwxrwsr-x 7 greg lmi 4096 Oct  2 22:24 /opt/lmi/local

as desired. But I didn't remove /opt/lmi/* first; let me try doing
that and then rebuilding again.

>  But for now I'd mostly like to know if you think it would be useful to get
> rid of the rest of Boost

Absolutely.

>  Please let me know if you'd like me to make the changes suggested above,
> test them and submit a patch with them and, also, removing everything
> Boost-related from lmi entirely.

Let me do that, because I need something simple to work on this week.