lmi

Re: [lmi] Should we update libxml and its kin?

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Should we update libxml and its kin?
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 15:34:27 +0000

On 2022-03-18 15:15, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
>  You'd need to check what exactly is the "untracked content". It might be
> just some stupid debug file (e.g. "configure~"), in which case it can be
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^ yes, exactly
> (a) ignored or (b) suppressed locally by adding this file to
> third_party/libxml2/.git/info/exclude or (c) suppressed globally by adding
> it to third_party/libxml2/.gitignore updating the submodule. I didn't do
> (c) because I planned to patch automake to add an option to avoid creating
> these files in the first place as discussed in
>
>       https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?110417
>
> but I didn't have time to do it yet. Maybe I should,

That would be good for the long run.

> or maybe (b) could be
> a good enough workaround for now.

Why (b) instead of (c)?

The file in (b) doesn't exist now, and neither does its directory.

The file in (c) already exists, and contains 127 names of files like
  config.h.in~
that should be ignored. Now we have a new file 'configure~' that
should likewise be ignored. Wouldn't adding 'configure~' to this
existing .gitignore file be the most concinnous change?

If you agree, and I make that change and push it, will the rest of
the lmi world update cleanly on the next git-pull--or could this
have some disastrous effect that I don't know about, e.g. because
I'd be grafting something new (and unknown to upstream libxml2)
onto a detached HEAD?