lmi

[lmi] Finding many, many user-but-not-group-writable files in install sc

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: [lmi] Finding many, many user-but-not-group-writable files in install scripts
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 21:57:44 +0200

 Hello,

 This is not the most crucial question right now, but I wonder about the
find command at the end of install_wx*.sh, added back in c4749b3eb (Work
around an autotools anomaly, 2020-05-13). This command is preceded by a
comment saying that it should find zero files but, in practice, it finds
thousands of files to me, which is mildly annoying when looking at the logs
(or more than mildly when doing it on the web, where viewing such huge logs
is slow) and, of course, rather unexpected.

 The trouble is, I don't understand why isn't it supposed to find all the
files it finds, e.g. all of the files created while building wxWidgets
under /opt/lmi/local/gcc_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/wx-ad_hoc/lmi-gcc-11 or
similar directory. These files are not affected by the chmod calls just
above and it seems perfectly normal for them to have the default 644 mode
(corresponding to the standard 022) umask. I could change the umask, but
I'd rather not, to be honest, especially because I just don't see any
reason to run this find command on the entire prefix directory. Why don't
we restrict it to just the directories where files are actually getting
installed? Or, at least, exclude, all the build directories (although I
don't know how would we identify all of them in general, but even just
excluding "/opt/lmi/local/gcc_*" would be already good -- if I do this, the
number of found files is reduced from 2092 to 2, /opt/lmi/local and
/opt/lmi/local/include)?

 Am I missing something or could we please make this change?

 Thanks in advance,
VZ