lmi

Re: [lmi] Any interest in testing under FreeBSD?

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Any interest in testing under FreeBSD?
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 00:27:32 +0000

On 6/21/22 23:52, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

>  This is an idea completely out of left field, but I've been setting up a
> FreeBSD CI build for wxWidgets after discovering that it was broken there
> (and not only there, but on probably all non-Linux and non-macOS Unix
> systems) by some recent changes and thought if this could be useful for lmi
> as well. I don't expect to have any actual lmi users under FreeBSD, of
> course, but it could discover some portability problems that you might be
> interested in knowing about.

Yes. If lmi doesn't work under BSD, then it would be interesting
to know why.

Scripts and makefiles do have known, deliberate incompatibilities,
such as GNU long options:
  rm --force --recursive
  grep --quiet --files-with-matches
and some GNU-specific options:
  rm --one-file-system (I'm not sure BSD's '-x' is the same)
and of course all of GNU make's non-POSIX-standard features. But
we could install a GNU userland on BSD and those problems would
vanish. I'd very much like to know if any other problems exist.