lmi

Re: [lmi] Copying compiler run-time files in the makefiles

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Copying compiler run-time files in the makefiles
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 00:23:15 +0000

On 6/27/22 20:45, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
> 0024:err:module:import_dll Library libgcc_s_seh-1.dll (which is needed by
> L"Z:\\opt\\lmi\\bin\\libxmlwrapp-6.dll") not found
>
> and similar errors when trying to run product_files.exe

Try commit ceb0ac3bb13, just pushed.

>  Looking at the makefile, libgcc_s_seh-1.dll should have apparently been
> copied to $(localbindir) when $(build_dir) was created.

Yes.

> I am not sure I
> understand why should build_dir depend on $(gpl_files)

$(build_dir) is a prerequisite for everything:

% :: $(build_dir) ; @:

and, therefore, so is anything it depends upon. Thus, without a copy of
the GPL, you can't do anything. It's like a passe sanitaire.

> but, most of all,
> this doesn't work for me because $(compiler_runtime_files) is empty in
> GNUmakefile, as compiler_runtime_files is only set in compiler.make which
> is included from workhorse.make, but not GNUmakefile itself.

Commit 0fc04feacde99 was a little too zealous about information hiding.

The history
  git log -G'compiler_runtime_files' --patch
is fascinating. Even though there were some false steps along the way,
it didn't seem correct to revert to any earlier version.

I'll try to specify the desired behavior here, in case you can see a
better way to accomplish it. To run any msw binary, the compiler runtime
libraries must be on $WINEPATH; specifically, $localbindir must contain
copies of them. If you had built some msw binary and later inadvertently
removed those copies, then they must be restored when you build any
makefile target that would try to run that msw binary (possibly without
rebuilding it).

The list of runtime libraries may change with a compiler upgrade, so it
has to be created dynamically.