lmi

[lmi] LLVM libc++ [Was: Compiler diagnostics]

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] LLVM libc++ [Was: Compiler diagnostics]
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 23:01:57 +0000

On 7/11/22 22:02, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2022 19:03:25 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> GC> On 7/11/22 16:22, Greg Chicares wrote:
[...]
> GC> Should I hope for better clang diagnostics if I use its
> GC>   https://libcxx.llvm.org/
> GC> standard library?
>
>  Yes, I think this might be the case and, in particular, I'd be curious if
> this particular error message is improved when using libc++. But mostly I
> always use libc++ because it's even more different from libstdc++ than
> clang itself is different from gcc and I've found several unportable
> constructs in my own code that correctly failed to compile (or compiled
> with warnings indicating a serious problem) with libc++, while they
> compiled just fine with libstdc++. Again, I'm sure the reverse must be
> possible as well, but as my primary compiler is gcc, I never encounter it.

Do you happen already to know exactly how to do that? I tried:

  /root[0]#apt-get install libc++-dev
  The following additional packages will be installed:
    libc++-13-dev libc++1-13 libc++abi1-13 libunwind-13 libunwind-13-dev
  The following packages will be REMOVED:
    libunwind-dev

and said "No" because I'm afraid it might break gcc unwinding.