lmi

Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master 2ca1e113 6/9: Comment out superfluous sem

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master 2ca1e113 6/9: Comment out superfluous semicolons
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 15:15:28 +0200

On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 20:42:33 -0400 (EDT) Greg Chicares
<gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

GC> branch: master
GC> commit 2ca1e1130fc194063f824b7a069d51548328a69b
GC> Author: Gregory W. Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
GC> Commit: Gregory W. Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
GC>
GC>     Comment out superfluous semicolons
GC>
GC>     "//;" can be removed if wx changes someday.
[...]
GC> --- a/wx_test_about_version.cpp
GC> +++ b/wx_test_about_version.cpp
GC> @@ -246,7 +246,7 @@ LMI_WX_TEST_CASE(about_dialog_version)
GC>              wxTEST_DIALOG
GC>                  (wxYield()
GC>                  ,expect_license_dialog()
GC> -                );
GC> +                )//;
GC>
GC>              return wxID_OK;
GC>              }

 I'd indeed like to change this because it's definitely an oversight, all
statement-like macros are supposed to require a semicolon after them and
the example in the documentation shows using it too.

 Unfortunately doing it in 3.2 would be, strictly speaking,
backwards-incompatible and so can't be done there. But if I do it only in
the latest wx master, it would make lmi not compile with it any more, yet
we wouldn't be able to remove "//" as we'd still want lmi to compile with
3.2 too.

 So the only way out of this I see is to define some LMI_TEST_WX_DIALOG()
macro that would wrap wxTEST_DIALOG() but would always require a semicolon.
Should I do it like this or do you think it's too ugly and not worth it?

 Thanks,
VZ