lmi

Re: [lmi] /etc/etckeeper/.git became enormous

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] /etc/etckeeper/.git became enormous
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 14:36:58 +0000

On 9/13/22 15:50, Greg Chicares wrote:
> It seems that etckeeper might never trigger garbage collection.
> On a corporate server:
>
> du -sh /etc/.git/objects/
> 11G     /etc/.git/objects/
>
> git gc
>
> du -sh /etc/.git/objects/
> 44M     /etc/.git/objects/
>
> A tiny 11G file shouldn't matter in 2022, but this server mounts
> various parts of the filesystem on distinct partitions.
I had added a script to run 'git gc' on every update, but the
repository still grew too quickly, so now I also:

 - excluded the directory in etckeeper's .gitignore with
     webmin/*/
 - ran
     git rm -r --cached webmin
   to remove unwanted old stuff from the repository

There's still six gigabytes of files that 'webmin' has
stored in /etc, but that's how they choose to administer
the server.