lmi

Re: [lmi] LLVM libc++

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] LLVM libc++
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 15:35:36 +0200

On Wed, 5 Oct 2022 21:47:11 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

GC> And using a pragma does work. You could see that in the two small
GC> commits

 Just FYI, I'm going to push 2 more changes needed to fix the CI builds
after these changes, please see my ci-libunwind branch if you'd like to
have a look at them, but they only affect .github/workflows/ci.yml and
configure.ac respectively, so you're probably not very interested in them.

 Also, this is not the most critical question, but I'd still like to ask:
why are we actually using libunwind at all instead of using glibc
backtrace_symbols() function as everybody else does? Have you already tried
and found it unsatisfactory?

 I'm asking this because LLVM libunwind really doesn't seem to be meant for
the public consumption, it looks like a library used by LLVM internally
that just happens to have ended up in Debian for some reason. In addition
to the already mentioned issue with its haphazardly installed headers, it
also doesn't provide libunwind.pc file, unlike the old library, making it
more difficult to check for it. It's not a huge deal, of course, but it's
just not a good sign IMHO and it seems wiser not to depend on it unless we
absolutely have to. Do we?

 Thanks,
VZ