lmi

[lmi] Does doxygen's client-side search work?

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] Does doxygen's client-side search work?
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 03:07:22 +0000

The lmi search box here:
  https://www.nongnu.org/lmi/doxygen/
doesn't work for me, on either:
  - my debian workstation, with firefox; or
  - a corporate msw laptop, with ms-edge.
(I entered the name of a class, copied and
pasted from the "Class List", and hit Enter,
but nothing whatsoever happened; and neither
uBlock Origin nor uMatrix is blocking anything
on the page.)

I've set:
  SEARCHENGINE           = YES
  SERVER_BASED_SEARCH    = NO
which ought to be enough if I've understood the
documentation:
  https://www.doxygen.nl/manual/searching.html
correctly.

The wx search box here:
  https://docs.wxwidgets.org/3.0/index.html
doesn't work for me, either, at least not on my
own machine with firefox. (However, it fails to
work in a different way than lmi's: when I hit
Enter, it takes me to an empty doxygen page, e.g.:
  https://docs.wxwidgets.org/3.0/search.php?query=wxWindow
.)

Am I missing something obvious?

Perhaps it would be better for lmi to set:
  SEARCHENGINE           = NO
because tools like git-grep and vim are probably
better than doxygen's search.

In fact, although doxygen looks like a good idea
in theory, and lmi code has quite a few sections
of documentation, formatted with doxygen in mind,
that come through pretty well, e.g.:
  https://www.nongnu.org/lmi/doxygen/classcalendar__date.html#details
it doesn't seem all that useful in practice for
lmi (I'd rather just read the source code).
Therefore, I'm not going to fret over defects like
its making the capitalized indefinite article a
hyperlink (there's a class named "A" somewhere);
especially not in light of LLVM's doxygen pages,
which treat 'true' and 'unsigned' similarly, e.g.:
  https://www.llvm.org/doxygen/classunsigned.html
It's astonishing that wx's doxygen documentation
is so good; I'd guess that the effort to produce
and maintain it amounts to more than a person-year.