lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Reporting crashes found by running a fuzzing campaign

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Reporting crashes found by running a fuzzing campaign
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 09:48:15 +0100

"Hiromasa Ito" <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have written a new test driver and ran a fuzzing campaign on lwIP with
> American Fuzzy Lop (AFL).
> As a result, I have found nine crashes caused by assertion failures, and they
> seem to be bugs.
> I have already reported two of them, but still have seven crashes not
> reported.
>
> https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?51447
> https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?55706
>
> There for, I have two questions for developers.
>
> First, how should I report these unreported crashes?

As bug reports, like above.

> Should I report them individually, like the ones above?

That depends if they are real separate issues (report individually) or crashes
in the same area (combine in one bug).

> If needed, I can upload the test driver, crashed inputs, and the source codes
> of lwIP I used.

The crashed inputs are certainly needed!

The test driver would be interesting. You might have noticed we have and AFL
setup in test/fuzz and input files in test/fuzz/inputs. I'd be happy to
incorporate changes if appropriate.

> Second, can I write about these crashes in my academic paper?
> I'm a master's student in computer science in Japan.
> If any bugs cause these crashes, I'd like to write about them in my paper.
> If it is inconvenient, please let me know.

Yes, I don't see a problem writing about that.

Regards,
Simon