lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] LWIP IPv4 does not accept broadcast packets when configured

From: Tutuianu, Andrei
Subject: [lwip-devel] LWIP IPv4 does not accept broadcast packets when configured interface IP address is 0.0.0.0
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 17:23:38 +0000

Hi,

I am facing an issue with LWIP (I am using V2.1.2 however I tried also with V2.1.3) with IP packets with broadcast address. Our device is by default configured using static IP configuration (this is a requirement), and on first power-up the parameters are 0 (IP, netmask, gateway) On the next power-up the device will use the last configured parameters. We have a custom configuration protocol which is used by the user to configure the device after is started, and the protocol sends broadcast IPv4 packets (destination address 255.255.255.255) to discover and configure the device. The packets are filtered out by the ip4 module because the configured IP address is 0.0.0.0 and the device cannot be found in the configuration tool. I did some digging and I found out that the function ip4_input_accept does not accept the packet because the IP address of the interface is not valid (it checks if the interface is up and the IP is not IPADDR_ANY). Is the check for invalid address really necessary if the IP packet is a broadcast?

Thank you,

Andrei Tutuianu