lwip-users

[lwip-users] why NA message is sent to upper layer by raw_input

From: Grace
Subject: [lwip-users] why NA message is sent to upper layer by raw_input
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 03:35:52 -0700 (MST)

Hi everyone,

I'm using lwip2.1.2 to implement ping ipv6 feature, and I found that when
two devices ping one another for the first time, my first received packet is
always NA frame instead of Echo Reply frame.

After check I found in ip6_input function, NA frame is passed to raw_input
function and sent to upper layer.

Could I ask why NA frame as address resolution frame would be sent to upper
layer?

As what I understand, ARP request&reply message in IPv4 do the same work as
NS&NA message in IPv6. But in ethernet_input function, ARP frame and IPv4
data frame are treated differently. ETHTYPE_ARP frame is sent to and eaten
by etharp_input(), and ETHTYPE_IP frame is sent to ip4_input(). No ARP
request/reply would be passed to IP layer. So why NA in IPv6 is passed to IP
layer?

It would be much appreciated if anyone could talk about this.
Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Grace